National Junior Honor Society (NJHS)
Welcome to the organization the world’s highest achieving students have been proudly adding to their résumés since 1929. There is only one National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), and it provides an outstanding opportunity to grow with academically accomplished peers who are sharpening the habits needed for success in high school and beyond.
NJHS Advisor: Bianca ZunigaNJHS meets the second Tuesday of each month in the library from 3:35 - 4:30pm, unless otherwise stated.
Membership in the NJHS is considered an honor. Eligibility in the NJHS is based on academic criteria recommended by the National Council of the National Junior Honor Society. To be eligible for membership the candidate must be enrolled as a member of the 7th grade or 8th grade class at Brownsboro Junior High. Candidates shall then be evaluated on the basis of service, leadership, character and citizenship by completing an application shortly after the first nine weeks. Eligibility does not guarantee selection as a member.
To remain in good standing, NJHS members must maintain academic excellence (GPA of 3.5 or greater), attend monthly meetings and participate in service opportunities involving 4 hours of service per marking period. Members must demonstrate continuing leadership, citizenship, character, and must participate in NJHS sponsored activities.
Five Qualities of Membership
Membership is an honor bestowed upon a student. Selection for membership is by majority vote of the faculty council and is based on outstanding scholarship, character, leadership, service and citizenship.
- Scholarship - a commitment to learning and charge to continually expand their world through opportunities inherent in scholarship
- Service - a willingness to volunteer and work for the benefit of those in need without compensation or recognition
- Leadership - an important influence in our school community, self-confidence to go forward when others hesitate
- Citizenship - the responsibility to live up to the laws and guidelines that the founders of our country have given us
- Character - a force within each individual which distinguishes that person from others as they display making the right choices daily